Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Guess i might as well...

I had felt a sort of longing for Xinhui Primary School, it was like a sort of attachment to the school, the young children, the warm and friendly teachers, and especially our marvelous cook, Da Shen. A part of me refused to let go, unable to make myself leave the premises that felt like a second home to me.

I began to think, such was the carefree lifestyle that the people there led, unfettered by things going on in the outside world, they enjoy life living in a world of their own. At first, I felt sorry for the people, having to live in such a harsh and bleak environment, but after I interacted with the children, made small talk. I began to understand that they were happy with whatever they had. It did not matter to them that they did not have things like cameras, proper toilets or sleek new facilities. They live life contented with what they had. Something us Singaporeans could probably never achieve. Unlike them, we live in a competitive society. We have to fight to get what we want. It was hard for me to learn to treasure things I have, because I did not see their worth. I simply wanted them for the sake of wanting them, as if they were a measure of someone's overall outlook. But after the trip, I learned one thing from the children, I treasure what I have and am contented with it. It was pointless having something I do not treasure, it would just be a piece of trash in my hands and I would rather it be a treasure in someone else’s hands.

Being away so long from the rigours of city living, it was expected to have some kind of withdrawal syndrome due to the stark inconvenience of things. I admit I had it for the first 3 days at most, then it vanished, Xinhui felt like home. Getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life had its benefits. It allowed me time to myself, a time so precious I would never have in the fast-paced lifestyle in Singapore. At long last, I had a chance to look into myself and discover for myself my strengths, my weaknesses, my personality and my identity, I saw what kind of a person I was. I would try to change my weakness and fortify my strengths. Hopefully, to make myself a more acceptable person to others. I tried to open my introverted nature as much as I could and I found out that everything was not so bad if people were willing to be honest with each other. Something, which rarely happens in a society like ours.

What the project achieved was that it laid each and everyone of us bare, honest, good or ugly. We saw each other, forgave their faults and encouraged whatever was good. In this short time, we forged strong friendships that would last many, many trials

Aaron Lim Si Ru 04A2

No comments: