Wednesday, October 15, 2008

So many things. Too little time. The Irony of it all.

Well, according to someone who decided to do some maths, we apparently have 67 more days out at sea before we arrive back in Singapore waters, Changi Naval Base. I wonder if it's a good or bad thing. I actually have loads to share for the past few days when i've been out of touch due to work and fatigue, but now right after a 4 hour watch, my mind's quite numbed and empty.

Ah bugger, i'll just give a brief rundown. On monday, i was given the opportunity to cross deck to HMS Lancaster, thats even after i didnt get picked in the ballot, its coz my Ops Officer was nice enough to give up his spot for me. Naturally i was rather excited after all i'm gonna be visiting an English Warship. So we were all prepared and waiting at the tank deck for the RHIB to arrive and pick us up, right when we were gonna board, the RHIB could only take 6 and i was the last min 7th insert, so i was taken out. Disappointed yes, turns out there was some miscomm, some other officer took the spot my OpsO gave to me. Oh well. Too bad. Get over it. But everyone else who heard about it came to comfort me, made me feel better, not that i felt very bad in the first place but yeah, i appreciated it. Guess what i lost in some aspects i gained in others.

The very next day, i was TOLD to go for cross deck to USCG Aquidneck, a coast guard patrol vessel. This time i did go. It was quite the experience, the officers and crew were very hospitable and accomodating, i'm quite taken aback by how so many people can live in such small spaces, but it's quite a capable vessel despite the size and age. Managed to get myself a ball cap in exchange for some of my stuff.

So that's the gist of it all.

No comments: