Saturday, February 04, 2012

CDP 438 Entry #2

Words catch me and they have a certain power that grapples. When I was reading Charged, all those NS memories came right back. Not that anything bad happened, on the contrary it was a lot more agreeable than I imagined, it was fair to say the least, just do your fair share of work and you’ll be fine. Which was why this gross misunderstanding between Hakim and Russell intrigues me so, reality is much plainer than what people often imagine it to be. As I summarized in class, it was a gross misunderstanding that got coloured. The scene I chose captured me because to me this was the crux of the entire story. A kind of acceptance between the two major protagonists, but there is also a sense of immense pity as despite knowing that race was never an issue, their deaths have set off a disastrous ripple throughout the country which they can never hope to heal. It highlights the fact that people take racism as a reflexive defence against whatever wrongs being done to them. Racism effectively became the convenient scapegoat for the fire that engulfs Charged. There is conflict because of miscommunication, and that is all revealed here, however, it is a pity because this accord between no longer has any bearing on the direction they play is taking – because they are dead. Only the audience would know.

No comments: